Sunday, July 23, 2006

INJURED -- 17 July 2006 -- Singleton Beach, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, US -- wader attacked

Dallas Jackson claims he was bitten on the leg by a shark in chest deep water at Singleton Beach, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, US.

The incident occurred about 10am local time while Jackson was watching his wife and young son boogie boarding.

"I just felt a very large, almost like a baseball bat, hitting me in the leg," Jackson told media. "It was really hard. It kind of knocked me off balance, and I felt a little bit of a tug at the same time.

"The first thing that went through my mind was, `I just got bit by a shark.' "

Jackson waded to shore and wrapped the wound in a towel. His family drove him to hospital. The wound required around 12 stitches.

Media said that authorities were still to confirm whether the wound was caused by shark, but quoted Jackson as saying he was in no doubt going by the puncture wounds, blood and the flap of skin hanging from his leg when made it to the beach.

No other details -- Jackson’s age, the name of the hospital, the type of shark -- were reported.

Source:
Charlotte Observer