Wednesday, July 19, 2006

INJURED -- 4 (??) July 2006 -- Florida Keys, US -- spear fisher attacked

A report by AFP on 18 July refers to a shark attack “two weeks ago” on the sister, Bebe, of Gary Hall, an Olympic Gold Medallist swimmer. The two were spearfising in the Florida Keys when the incident happened.

Bebe, 28, and Hall fought off the shark, but not before it had bitten Bebe on the arm, which required 19 stitches. Hall was uninjured in the attack. Bebe managed to shoot the shark in the mouth with her speargun before it left the two alone.

According to the report: the Halls were spear fishing about 200 metres from their boat and spotted a shark. They started swimming back to their boat when a 1.8 metre black tip reef shark attacked.

"Another shark larger than the first one we saw came in from the side and bit (Bebe) on the arm," Hall said. "I didn't realise she had been bit before the shark was on me.

"It was swimming after me and thrashing and had its back arched in a frenzy mode. I kept punching it in the nose and kicking it and it kept coming after me.

"I was eventually able to get underneath it and roll it off of me. That's when it charged toward my sister.

"She had already been bit, but in the meantime she had enough sense to load the spear.

"The shark charged her with its mouth open and she shot it."

The shark swam away and they managed to get back to the boat where Hall fashioned a tourniquet for Bebe's arm.

"It was definitely a shot of adrenaline," Hall said. "I don't know what my split was for the 50 metres, but I am sure I haven't swam that fast in years."

Sources:
Yahoo News