Monday, August 14, 2006

INJURED -- < 24 July 2006 -- Sargent Beach, Matagorda County, Texas, US – fisherman attacked

R.K. Halbert was bitten on his right ankle while fishing from the beach at Sargent Beach in Matagorda County, Texas, US. The KHOU report follows his admittance on 24 July to CyFair Medical Center for an infection in his foot caused by the bite. The date of the attack is not mentioned.

Halbert told KHOU: "I had the rod over my shoulder and I was dragging bait behind me. Probably smelled the bait, came from behind, smelled the bait and hit my foot,

"He grabbed me, jerked me for a minute, pulled me backwards and then let go. It felt like a bear trap closing in on my foot."

The shark -- believed to be a bull shark about 4 or 5 feet long -- bit Halbert just above his right ankle.

It tore a hole through his wading bootie and almost knocked him down.

"[It] wasn't his fault it was my fault. You are no longer the top of the food chain when you're in the water," said Halbert.

Sources: KHOU