Monday, December 14, 2009

INJURED – 13 December 2009 – Evans Heads, NSW, Australia – surfer attacked

Nigel Hughes, 39, was bitten on the left foot by a shark while surfing at Evans Heads, NSW, Australia. The incident took place on Sunday 13 December 2009.

He told media: “I got on a wave and was paddling to catch it when it hit me like a baseball bat to the foot.

“I was able to catch a wave in and looked back to see if my foot was still there - luckily, it was.”

He managed to limp up the beach with his left toe half hanging off. Friends wrapped the wound in a towel and took him to Lismore Base Hospital where he underwent surgery.

He said doctors told him his foot was quite mangled but they managed to sew it up.

“It was only my second surf of the holiday, so I wasn't happy,” he quipped.

Sources:
News.com