Tuesday, November 10, 2009

INJURED – 8 November 2009 – Second Valley, south of Adelaide, Australia – diver attacked

Dean Brougham, 25, received minor injuries to his hand and leg when he was bitten by a shark while spear fishing at Second Valley, south of Adelaide, Australia. The incident happened on Sunday 8 November 2009.

He told media he had been in the water just seven minutes when the shark latched onto his leg. He said he punched the shark repeatedly before it released him and swam away.

“I came up, as soon as I got to the surface I felt someone, something pulling my leg and I thought it was just someone being a smart arse, and I turned around and just saw the big face looking at me.

“It was unimaginable, just freaky, just seeing this big monster’s head just looking at you.

“I just started beating it, just trying to get rid of it, and then it let me go and then I was just straight towards the cliffs.

“I can’t believe first of all I got attacked by a shark, I can’t believe second of all that I got out of the water, and I can’t believe that I've still got everything attached.”

Brougham was recovering in Adelaide’s Flinders Medical Centre.

He said he thought the shark may have been a white pointer.

Sources:
ABC