Thursday, May 21, 2009

INJURED – 16 May 2009 – Exuma Islands, Bahamas – diver attacked

shark_exuma

A tourist diver, Luis Hernandez, 48, was bitten on the right arm by a bull shark while on a shark-feeding expedition. The attack left severe wounds to his arm. The incident happened on Saturday 16 May 2009, while he was diving off Exuma Islands in the Bahamas.

According to reports Hernandez said he could see strips of muscle dangling from his bone after the shark finally let go of his arm.

The shark bit down on Hernandez's arm and would not let go.
“It felt like a torpedo hit my body, and it pulled me out of the water and the next thing I saw was the face of the shark right next to my face. And I tried to fight him, I'm gonna say for about 30 seconds, and finally got him off my arm. And I injured my other hand trying to open his jaw,” Luis told CBS4.

Hernandez was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital where he underwent multiple surgeries to repair the damage. He still faces several more surgeries, but doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

 

Sources:
CDNN
CBS4

Photo Source:
CDNN

 

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: