Sunday, April 06, 2008

INJURED – 4 April 2008 – Ponce de Leon Inlet, Volusia County, Florida, US -- surfer attacked



Joe Giangrasso, 18, was bitten on the right foot while surfing south of Ponce de Leon Inlet, Volusia County, Florida, US on Friday 4 April 2008.

Giangrasso suffered gashes to his foot that required numerous stitches.

He was treated by the Volusia County Beach Patrol and his friends drove him to Bert Fish Medical Center for treatment.

He described the attack: "I thought he was going to hit me and hold on for a second. When I went to pull out, he clamped on harder and shook his head. I tried to reach, grab and push, do whatever I could do, finally he let go."

No other details were reported such as the size or species of the shark.



Photo credit (from video footage): NECM.com