Thursday, August 16, 2007

INJURED -- 14 August 2007 -- Florida Keys, United States -- swimmer attacked

Ashley Silverman, 19, suffered severe lacerations to her right arm after being attacked by a shark soon after she jumped from a boat into waters off the Florida Keys, US. The incident took place on Tuesday afternoon, 14 August 2007.

In an interview with CBS4 she explained she was in the water when suddenly she felt a tug on her right arm. "I didn't see it. I didn't know what happened. I didn't know if I had gotten hit from a propeller or a boat or what it was." She said she saw blood in the water. "I saw my bone and pieces of flesh in the water."

Her boyfriend jumped in the water and pulled her out.

She was originally taken to Mariner's Hospital and then airlifted to Kendall hospital, where she underwent surgery to close an eight-inch gash on her right arm.

The doctor who performed the surgery said the wound may have been caused by a bull shark.

Sources:
UPI
CBS4