Thursday, March 15, 2007

DESCRIBED -- The woman attacked at Moore Park beach tells her story

59-year-old Mary Jane Ryan was malled by a suspected 2-metre bull shark – details here.

She tells her story from her hospital bed...

I felt like I'd been hit by a truck... I knew it was something big and I knew I had to get out of there or I'd be dead. End of story."

Those were the words of Mary Jane Ryan yesterday as she lay in a bed in Queensland's Bundaberg Hospital reliving the terrifying shark attack which she believes could have claimed her life.

Sporting a massive bruise to her right hand and arm and a badly gouged leg, Ms Ryan, 59, gave a graphic account of the leisurely Monday afternoon swim at Moore Park beach, just north of Bundaberg, that ended in horror.

Escaping the sweltering 38C heat, Ms Ryan had been swimming alone in chest-deep calm water at low tide when the shark struck.

"All of a sudden, bam, and I knew it was a shark," she said.

"And I knew it had bit my leg and people say 'did you look around?' and it was like 'no, I just knew I had to get out of there'.

More here at NEWS.com.au…