Sunday, February 12, 2006

INJURED - 8 February 2006 - Nahoon Beach, East London, South Africa - surfer attacked

Fifteen-year-old Jason Noades was bitten on the right calf while surfing at Nahoon Beach, East London, South Africa on Wednesday afternoon, 8 February 2006.

He escaped the shark's jaws by kicking it with his left foot.

He told the Daily Dispatch newspaper: “I was surfing when I fell and the wave took me down. I felt something grab me on my right leg.

"Then I saw the fin, which was about 15 centimetres long, as the shark was taking me."

Noades said he kicked out with his other leg and then "I paddled faster...without even looking back."

Noades suffered two minor wounds to his right calf. He wetsuit also bore puncture marks where the shark bit his leg.

There were seven other surfers in the vicinity at the time of the attack according to Jason.

The newspaper said that experts were yet to determine the size and species of the shark.

Sources: Daily Dispatch