Saturday, October 01, 2005

FRIGHTENED – SCARBOROUGH BEACH, PERTH, AUSTRALIA – 24 SEPTEMBER 2005 – SURFER ATTACKED

Surfer, Brad Satchell, 44, survived a shark attack by punching the shark repeatedly on the head when it tried to attack him at Scarborough beach, Perth, Western Australia.

Satchell said he thought the shark was a bronze whaler more than one metre in length.

When the shark swam straight at him he climbed off his board and used it as a shield.
He was quoted by media as saying: “I actually had a smile on my face when I first saw the thing because I thought it was a seal.

"I can remember I was actually smiling, but then it just changed and I thought 'wow this thing is going to have a go at me'.

"Probably two or three foot before it tried to attack me, I turned my board on the side to use it as a shield.

"I lifted my body out of the water and I just got my fists and I remember what I'd read in the paper - I just started punching and I connected with its head."
Satchell said it was a frightening experience.

He was unhurt and paddled to safety.

Sources:
ABC News Online

Herald Sun

No comments: