Sunday, February 08, 2009

BUMPED – 7 February 2009 -- Cellito beach New South Wales, Australia – surfer attacked

shark_DurwinDurwin Keg, 41, was surfing at Cellito beach on Australia’s New South Wales mid-north coast when his board was bumped by a great white shark.

The incident occurred on Saturday, 7 February 2009.

He told media: “I just looked around and saw this huge shadow, probably about four metres away from me.

“Straight away I knew it was a shark. He was just sitting under there watching me.”

He began to make his way back to shore – calmly and quickly, but within a few strokes, he turned and saw the shark following him.

“I knew it was after me,” he said. “I started moving and I could see him going behind me.”

Keg paddled as hard as he could as the shark began closing in.

Moments later it struck with all its force into Keg’s board.

“He just came up and lifted me to try throw me off my board,” he said.

Keg said he clung to his board, trying to stay above water. The shark then tried to attack a second time.

“This time he came right up out of the water to flick me off,” he said.

As he came within centimetres of the shark, which had torpedoed most of its body out of the water, Keg was certain he was going to die.

“I was on my own, I was too far out,” he said.

Screaming to his mates to get out of the surf, he began wildly throwing punches at the shark which eventually moved off.

He made it back to the beach unharmed.

Sources:

Melbourne Herald Sun

Photo source:
Melbourne Herald Sun

Keg describes his ordeal - "I was sure i was going to die..."

No comments: